Thursday, January 30, 2014

Off to watch those baptized in the Spirit

Last week's experience played quite a bit with my head. I had a few days of really missing the Catholic Church and everything about it. Then I stood back and remembered all the reasons I left the Church and the appeal flew gently out the window. I still miss the cultural aspects of it, but there's no way I could rejoin.

This week, I will be going to Hope Resurrected Church in Ogden, a Pentecostal church, part of the Pentecostal Church of God. I'm excited, this is my first time ever going to a Pentecostal service.

Their website doesn't give much in the way of what I should expect, though I'm hoping they speak in tongues during the service. I've wanted to see that phenomenon up close. According the their website, they're a relatively young church, originally meeting in a small building in West Ogden from 2009 until moving to their current location in Downtown Ogden in 2011. I've driven by their building a number of times. They have a large, very modern looking billboard as their church sign and their building is rather inconspicuous.

From their website, it seems that this community is heavily focused on community service and charity, which I love. I wish that were the emphasis of most Christian communities now instead of waging wars on morality or being giant country clubs where everyone can talk about how righteous or sinful people are.

I'm wondering what it will be like. I have a vision of what it will be like in my brain, but I've learned that my expectations are usually not what I think they will be. So, we'll see what it's truly like.


No comments:

Post a Comment