Friday, March 21, 2014

Going to be healed by the Christian Science Practitioners

I've decided this week to check out the Church of Christ, Science here in Ogden. I admit that this is one denomination I'm not incredibly familiar with. About all I knew going into all of this was that they're a Christian group started by Mary Baker Eddy in the 1800's, that they focus strongly on faith healing, and they have a pretty decent newspaper. So, in doing a bit of research, I can tell you a little more about the Christian Science Practitioners.

Similarities to mainstream Christianity:
  • Belief that Jesus is the Messiah.
  • Belief in the Bible (they use the King James Version in their services, but it's not a required translation to use.)
  • Belief in the Trinity, one God in three persons.
  • Belief that Jesus died for mankind.
Teachings unique to Christian Science practitioners:
  • Belief that Mary Baker Eddy, their founder, discovered the hidden healing truths within the Bible that existed in the primitive Christian Church, but had been lost over the centuries.
  • Suffering is an illusion, an error in the perception of reality. You can overcome suffering by aligning with God and adhering to Christian Science practices.
  • Promotion of faith healing as superior to conventional medicine as it heals the entirety of the person. Conventional medicine is discouraged, but not forbidden nor demonized, but seen as incomplete.
  • Salvation comes through realizing yourself as a part of God and seeking to unite yourself with that being.
  • Only the spiritual reality exists. All else is an illusion caused by our errors in thought and perception.
I can't find much about what I should expect from the service. They seem quite different than anything else I will have experienced up to this point. I'm looking forward to seeing them and learning a bit more about this faith.

I'll let you know how everything goes. Until next time, peace be with you.

1 comment:

  1. As a former member of the Christian Science church I will be interested to read your next account. I do know they do not have "heads" of the church like most religions. They have what is called a reader. Usually 2 people who teach the lesson. It is the same lesson for everyone in the church world wide. So no matter where you go it is the same message.

    ReplyDelete